Being arrested can be one of the most frightening experiences anyone can have.  A city or county jail is no fun – no matter what part of Northern Kentucky you’re in.

And it’s not easy for family members because many times, they don’t know what to do.

Should they thumb through the Yellow Pages to find an attorney?

Should they call friends or relatives for advice?  That can be a tough decision too because everyone is going to find out they’ve had a family member arrested – and that can be embarrassing.

I have another option.

Why not rely on professionals…..including a former cop and former prosecutors….help you or a family member with a criminal matter in Northern Kentucky.

I’m Joe Suhre – and I manage Suhre & Associates, a criminal defense law firm.  And here’s why I think you should call us if you need help.

Besides having law enforcement experience, we are familiar with every court and judge in Campbell, Kenton and Boone Counties in Northern Kentucky.

And that means we are very familiar with the differing views and policies of the various courts – and even the judges that preside over those courts.

And that is the first step in obtaining a favorable outcome for your case.

On this website, you’ll find answers to many of the questions you have about being arrested in Northern Kentucky, what happens when someone goes to jail, what happens at court, and even what sentences or fines you might get.

To find the answers to your questions, just type your question in the search box located to the right, or just click on a category you’re interested in – there you’ll find every entry we have on that subject.

And when it’s time to call someone….let a team that’s been there stand with you or your family member in the courtroom. And in Northern Kentucky, that team is Joe Suhre and Mike Zimmerman.

Call 513.333.0014 for help – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

{ 1 comment }

What is Diversion?

by joesuhre on March 11, 2011

Diversion is an opportunity for first offenders to have their charges dismissed.  There are certain offenses that are ineligible for diversion, such as crimes of violence.  Also, the defendant must not have any prior disqualifying convictions or previous diversion programs.

The program typically consists of an educational class, a court fee, and community service.  After completion of the program, we usually file a motion for expungement.

To determine if you qualify for diversion and to learn more about the program, you should contact one of the attorneys in our office at 513-333-0014.  The initial consultation is free and we welcome your call.


How Long Does a Conviction Stay on My Record

May 7, 2010

I get this question a lot and there are a lot of myths and misunderstandings surrounding this point. A lot of people have the impression that convictions “fall off” or are magically wiped from your record after a certain period of time. I think the Transportation Cabinets practice of limiting the time frame that they […]

Read the full article →

When Can The Police Search My Car

April 9, 2010

Cars, unlike houses, do not require warrants in order to be searched. There are a number of reasons for this (like the fact that a car is more easily moved and the contents taken out of the jurisdiction of the Police) but the law makes a definite distinction. However, just because a warrant is not […]

Read the full article →

What Happens If The Police Do Not Read Me My Miranda Rights

April 1, 2010

People come into contact with police officers in many different types of situations and not all questioning triggers the requirement to be advised of your Miranda rights. Officers are required to give you the standard advisement when they engage in a “custodial interrogation” (meaning when they ask you incriminating questions after they arrest you). So […]

Read the full article →

When Can The Police Search My House?

March 30, 2010

The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution prevents the government from searching your house without probable cause unless you consent. Probable cause can come in the form of a warrant issued by a judge and based on facts that the officer presents. Those hearings are often done in secret and without the defense present since they […]

Read the full article →

What Are the Penalties For Marijuana Possession in Kentucky

March 26, 2010

Contrary to popular belief, marijuana laws are generally tougher for people arrested in Northern Kentucky than across the river in Ohio. A first offense possession of marijuana charge is considered a Class A misdemeanor (as long as the amount was less than 8 ounces). Which means you can be sentenced up to 1 year in […]

Read the full article →

What Is A Grand Jury

March 22, 2010

After someone is arrested for a felony in Northern Kentucky the first step is the preliminary hearing (see earlier blog post in regards to that topic). If the preliminary hearing is waived or the District Court Judge finds probable cause exists, then the charges are referred to the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury is made […]

Read the full article →

What Happens After Someone Is Arrested For A Felony

March 15, 2010

In Northern Kentucky the next step after someone is arrested for a felony is a preliminary hearing. This is a contested hearing before a district court judge and usually occurs within 10 days of arrest (especially if the defendant remains incarcerated after arrest). The prosecutor presents witnesses to try and convince the judge that there […]

Read the full article →

How Does Diversion Work In Kentucky

March 11, 2010

There are two types of Diversion programs in Kentucky, one for felonies and one for misdemeanors/violations. For felonies, the program is directed by statute and only applies to Class D, non-violent, first time offenders. The Commonwealth’s Attorney must agree to send the charge to Diversion. Once that occurs the defendant is required to plead guilty to […]

Read the full article →

Can I Be Fired From My Job For Being Convicted For A Crime?

November 30, 2009

Maybe yes, maybe no. It really depends on the terms of your employment. Additionally, if you are convicted and you get jail time, it is sometimes very difficult to explain the absence to your employer and they terminate you for the absence. So either way, a conviction can definitely impact your employment. If you’ve been […]

Read the full article →